Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Jump rope like a boxer



I've never been able to jump rope very well, let alone sing any songs while doing it. I also never really saw any benefit to jumping rope. For some reason I gave it a try last week. Down in my basement where no one can see me I picked up a kids jump rope and gave it a try. After wacking myself in the ankles and back of the neck a bunch of times, I finally started to get the hang of it.

Since I've changed my view on the value of rope jumping after starting to get better at it. Instead of a silly thing that you do to work on coordination, it's a great condtioning exercise. It teaches you to stay loose and bouncy. Jumping rope for more than a minute is almost impossible when you're tight and forcing the rope around. You have to be light on your feet and keep good timing (two things I lack). I think this may transfer into bmx racing by teaching you to stay loose, breathe, fix muscle imbalance, and help overall endurance.

 I use these as a transition from my warm up to my plyometric jumps and skips. They are really like a bunch of mini plyos. Give them a try and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment